MODEL PENAL CODE
A person who has been convicted of an offense may be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding:
(1) $10,000, when the conviction is of a felony of the first or second degree;
(2) $5,000, when the conviction is of a felony of the third degree;
(3) $1,000, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor;
(4) $500, when the conviction is of a petty misdemeanor or a violation;
(5) any higher amount equal to double the pecuniary gain derived from the offense by the offender;
(6) any higher amount specifically authorized by statute.